Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Excerpts of this book kept appearing in my tumblr feed for years everytime I searched for Taylor Swift and Kaylor. I had ignored it millions of times until the Covid-19 lockdown aka the Circuit Breaker came into effect in my country. Also on the other hand, I still have a handful of books which I have yet to finish reading mainly are non-fictions, such as Seeing What's Next by Christensen, Anthony and Roth and a book of poetry Simmering Light. The last time I read anything fiction was from incredible fanfiction writers from my favourite fandoms such as #Bechloe #Brittana #Supercorp #Swiftgron #Kaylor. This was like three to four years ago.
Currently, am in a stage that I am deprived of reading a book - anything fiction. Then, I saw a post by one of my favorite writers, Shamim Sharif, of her new book Athena Protocol. She was also the writer of the amazing and beautiful love story for I Can't Think Straight and The World Unseen -- both novels and movies. I ping her personally through her instastory like "I want this!". And she replied "then I hope you can get it!". You know when your favorite writer takes the time to reply to you, you should definitely get ahold of it, isn't it? So, I bought it right away from Amazon and decided to also purchase the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Well, a week later, I received Reid's and while writing this after 2 weeks later, Athena Protocol has still not reached me.
As I had mentioned earlier, I had purchased this masterpiece out of curiosity. Before reading it, I had told myself to cleanse my mind, be fresh from all the theories I have read so as not to be bias towards what others had shared in tumblr.
Before that, let me tell you the backstory of tumblr tags on this book. The tumblr bloggers or we called it the theory investigators said that there are a number of lyrics from Taylor's songs and life scenario are found to be similar in the book. Some even said that this book is about Taylor. Anyway, I had cleansed and cleansed my mind like how we try to cleanse our hands with sanitizers. It was fine until...
It was fine until...at many occurrences, I understood why and what the tumblr bloggers meant. It is like something you cannot put aside and tell yourself "Ah..it is merely a coincidence." I mean you can if you have not invested your time reading the tumblr theories for years. However, it has too many coincidences that I kept laughing or woah-ing so many times everytime words or scenes appeared on these pages.
The following are some excerpts which I found that connects to tumblr theories and our TS. And I have questions for discussion or maybe not.
1) "How does she know just how much to give and just how much of herself to withhold? ...Or is she going to play me the same way she played audiences for years?". There were discussions on how TS is a smart celebrity when she is sharing about her personal life especially related to relationship. It was debated that her relationships with the men we read in tabloids were in fact not real. It is merely for PR. And she will be out and about with them only when she chose to for reasons.
2) Evelyn Hugo played Jo in Little Women 1959 movie.
3) The phrase used as "all's well that ends well" appeared too in Taylor's hit song, Lover. This phrase seems to be a common and old phrase. But still...
4) "Photographers snapped shots as we sat together. We pretended not to see them, making it look like as if we were laughing together, arm in arm." The use of PR photos to promote Hugo and Brick's movies and themselves together even though they are not in a relationship. --- As mentioned earlier, in tumblr there are debatable assumptions about when TS went out with those men she was said to be dating only whenever she has something to promote.
5) "....after all, I loved Harry like a brother. I wasn't ready to be one of them." The use of this phrase when Hugo considered Harry, her gay best friend. --- This phrase reminds me of this part in Call It What You Want written by Swift -- "...Trust you like a brother.." It was highlighted by some that this lyric clearly shows that this someone TS was talking about is more of a best friend who she trusted to keep her secrets. This best friend is whom she is proud to be with.
6) "...Evelyn smiles, almost like a Cheshire Cat." This part of the dialogue between Hugo and the writer of her biography, Monique, reminds me of the lyrics in Swift's lyrics in Wonderland -- "Didn't you calm my fears with a Cheshire cat smile." This song was associated to Dianna Agron, who played one of my favorite Glee characters, Quinn Fabray.
7) There is this part which I am intrigued, where Evelyn had a conversation with her lover, Celia on how to divert the press' attention to something else instead of their relationship. Evelyn sacrificed her reputation. Instead she let the story been told in a way that she is the bad wife, impulsive and had terrible taste in men. She had chosen to protect Celia and their relationship from being the spotlight and she said that "It won't fit their story anymore." --- As a TS fan aka Swifty, I despise people who accused Taylor of her characters and put aside her contributions in music and quality lyrics and songs. And talking about her lyrics, before I even knew about the popular tumblr tags, I have been curious about the pronounce and who actually the lyrics is implying. Because it just doesn't fit. The use of 'you', 'I', 'he' in a song makes me think more.
8) The news article by Photomoment in Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo which highlights Celia St. James Engaged to Quarter-back John Braverman. -- Remember the story of Diana Agron who was rumored to have a relationship with a quarterback Tim T. ? Also in tumblr blogs there is a story of Diana and Taylor's rumored to be in a relationship during this period.
9) Rex North, one of Evelyn's husbands, whom she went out to an award show with. The use of the phrase "...Rex and I painted the town red" reminds me of the lyrics of Taylor in Miss Americana and The Heartbreak Prince, "We're so sad we paint the town blue." Blue relates to sadness or loss, while red is more on excitement.
10) Fake marriage between Celia and John, and Evelyn with Hugo. The choice of their residence were at Manhattan and Upper East side. --- How it relates to TS? TS decided to have another place in NYC and who encourages her to stay in NYC instead of London? Go check it out.
11) Joshua tree in LA ---- The cactus connection to Taylor with reference to the photo she posted when she was touring for her reputation concert.
12) One of the many letters written by Celia to her lover, Evelyn where she said, "Reading your letter felt like gasping for air after being trapped under water". ---- Exactly that is what I have been saying all this while. Isn't it the exact same thing as this lyrics in Clean, "The water filled my lungs, I screamed so loud but no one heard a thing"
13) The part where Evelyn was said that the truth had been there for them to grab if they'd paid attention talking about how the media only writes what they wanted. If they would have look into it deeper, the truth is there all. --- It has been a discussion in tumblr that TS has been writing about it since the beginning but no one cares to listen. She also had shown it in her music videos, lyrics, photos but no one take note of those.
14) Miss America >>> Miss Americana
15) The last news article from New York Tribune dated March 26, 2017. --- Why this date? Isn't this the period when Taylor Swift went into hiding and decided not to show herself to the world? Isn't this when she says "Taylor can't come to the phone right now, cause she is dead?" Wasn't that month and year when the masterpiece album reputation was born and she came back to life?
16) Oh my God, one last point I just realized this while watching marathons of Taylor Swift music videos again as I was checking some reference to confirm on my previous point of Look What you made me do. Then when I was rewatching Style, I read some comments about Harry Styles. Personally, I love Harry Styles but I am not interested about his and Taylor's relationship. But you see, most comments in this video is Harry Style is one of Taylor's best ex who respected her and all and even supported each other's music. Goodness. Harry Styles >> Harry Cameron??
Well, I can say that my curiosity is worth it. The story-telling is so moving that I had to stop myself from reading too fast at one seating. I had to plan carefully so that I have something to do during this circuit breaker aka lock down. I want to make sure my Athena Protocol will reach me nicely right after I finished Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Was it successful?
Completed everything on the fifth day.
Before reading this book, I have always kept in mind that if ever something happens, I do not mind keeping my love or relationship with the person I am in love with a secret. I still feel it is worth it. Because sometimes, it is in reality not possible in certain situations to share it with anyone. We should be able to choose who we want to share our life with or what we want to share to others. Although this might sound impractical or selfish probably to the other party, still it is something that I do not mind if it happens because if I am in Evelyn's position, I would do the same. The implications is worst. We can see that initially, Celia disagreed with Evelyn, eventually, she hid her true self by marrying John Braverman.
Leave a Reply.